Writer's Block

I've had writer's block. I have this habit of not posting anything that's just not as good as I think it should. If it's not profound or amusing, then what's the use? However, the whole point of this blog was for me to write more and record some thoughts. So, here are some of the things I would be writing about, if I felt they were worthwhile enough...

-Thanksgiving. It was a great weekend. Dr. Man was able to stay the entire four days with me. We hosted our first Thanksgiving at my apartment. Several of my friends (who were still in town) came over and we literally had a feast. There was turkey, ham, green beans, rolls, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, asparagus and more. Plus desserts! Oh, the desserts. Thanksgiving is, honestly, my favorite holiday of the year. It's a time that's just about friends and family and food (!). It's lovely to have people you care about gather around one table and share an especially good meal.

-Lab stuff. I have to submit an abstract to the Big European Conference by mid-March. And the project that I'm working on is (still) in the early stages. It involves some tricky vector construction that's been a problem for the past few months. I (finally) convinced Advisor to change tactics and I'm feeling much more hopeful about the situation.

-Family stuff. I can't seem to please them. When I got married, I changed my name to Dr. Man's LastName. This was much to my family's relief. Now, however, they think I should have hyphened it. I revealed to them that Dr. Man and I aren't planning on “starting a family” (I always hate that phrase. Aren't we a family? I thought our family started on our wedding day. Anyhow, I digress.) for a while. At first, this was joyous news. Now, they're concerned that my eggs will be rotten by the time we get around to it (for those interested, I'm not yet thirty). I have a wonderful, supportive husband who is proud of me and how hard I work. They were pleased. However, now that I've told them that I average about 50-60 hour weeks, they worry about how I'm going to take care of him and said (theoretical) children.