I resolve...

The productivity café (I can't find the link offhand) suggested that people should do a New Year's theme as opposed to resolutions. I'm going to have to disagree there-- at least when it comes to me. I need something that's measurable. When I was a kid, nothing made me happier than seeing the line of gold stars on the calendar. I have this crazy perversion when it comes to lists. I'll write a to-do list, accomplish something that is not on the list, add it to the list. I do this just so I can cross it off the list. Hence, I don't think a theme will do so well for me.

So, instead I'm going to try for goals. Things that I know I can do, but usually don't. Things that are specific. So, here are my plans:

1. Walk the dog for at least 30 mins every day.
          This shouldn't be too terribly hard. I can walk her in the morning before I head into the lab or immediately after I get home. Besides this should help with the blahs (I'll probably post more on this later).

2. Limit internet surfing at the lab. This means that I get 15 mins in the morning. 30 mins at lunch. 15 mins in the afternoon. 30 mins in the evening.
     Hi, I'm addicted to surfing the internet. I just can't seem to stop. Especially when I play the wikipedia game. The doc says that my prognosis is only 50-50 at this point.

3. Read at least one “fun” science paper per month.
     I really do enjoy science. However, there are times where I get bogged down in my own specific field, that I forget about all the wonders of science out there (i.e. why I really got into this business in the first place). By fun I mean anything that seems interesting and out of my field.

I'm tempted to make more, but I think if I just concentrate on these three things throughout the coming year (and re-evaluate when necessary) I'll have more success. Or maybe next year I'll try the “theme” thing.