Silence

All I could think of when I read the NYTimes article was, Oh no. I know that's not the most eloquent of thoughts to describe this latest tragedy, but that's what I thought. My next thought was for the victim's and the shooter's (yes, I know that isn't popular, but I can't imagine entanglement of shame and grief his parents may be feeling right now.) friends and families. Their lives are changed. Their sister's, daughter's, son's, brother's, boyfriend's, girlfriend's, friend's life is over. I know that my grief is nothing compared to their grief. That my new found trepidation of entering a lecture hall is nothing compared to their feelings. Still, my heart hurts for them. And I think that may count for something, somewhere.

Not to be melodramatic, but my mind keeps going back to the silence a witness mentioned in the NYTimes article. I'm not quite sure why it does that.

I want to do something to help. But all I can think to do is to blog about it. Any other ideas?