On the other hand

I try not to be overly consumerist, but, alas, I am. I want things. Some of my wants are to replace things I currently own with a newer, prettier replacement (see: the couch we inherited from Dr. Man's best friend-- when his fiancee wouldn't let him move with it, the end table we inherited when another friend moved away, the lamp that we got from my parents when they were updating their house). Some are wants for things that are completely impractical (see: a wardrobe that doesn't consist of jeans and t-shirts-- but then again where would I wear such a wardrobe?). A bunch of wants are for the house (see: new kitchen countertops, new light fixtures in the bathrooms, new fence). A lot are just simply silly things (see: various books, new shoes).

The majority of these wants will continue to be unfulfilled. Some may end up being filled (probably some of the things for the new house, which can be justified by resale value), but I think the majority won't. I don't like the idea that the pervasive marketing in American society has influenced me into desiring prettier, newer things.

These wants may also have to do with looking at some of my peers that have chosen to go on and get jobs/careers/not go to grad school. They have lives that do not revolve around the doubling time of their yeast (or at least not the kind one would mention in polite company). They go on real vacations, buy things from Pottery Barn, and don't hesitate to pick up meat at the grocery store. I'm jealous at times.

Even though I readily acknowledge that I'm perfectly happy without any of these things (and really I am), I still want.

Labels: