Oh me of so little faith

Why is it that I have so little faith in myself?* I made a really stupid mistake in the lab today (accidentally dumped a sample that I sort-of cared about) that really won't set me behind very much (maybe by a day or a few hours). Somehow this is indicative of my entire laboratory career and, ergo, myself. It's not as if no one has ever screwed up before (or as if I have never screwed up before) and, usually, it ends up being fine. So, why is it that this relatively minor mistake is such a big deal? It triggered all sorts of feelings of incompetence and idiocy. When, objectively, I'm neither of those things (ok, it's not that I have a big head or anything-- I asked CurrentLabMate). And yet...

This does mean an end to my cozy little work schedule, though. Alas, it was over before it began.

* Dr. Man says that he has faith in me. In fact, he has many faiths in me: Christianity, Buddhism...